Using SoapUI for load testing
Load Testing is quite unique in SoapUI, we have created a functionality that allows you to create Performance Tests quickly and modify them easily. The main differentiator is that Performance Tests in SoapUI generally is created from existing Functional Tests. This allows you to very quickly create advanced Performance Tests. You can then validate a Web Service performance under different Load scenarios, maintain functional validations to see that they don't break under load, run several load tests simultaneously to see how they affect each other and much more. Let's move on to the tutorial. What we are going to learn is the following:
- Create a new LoadTest
- Run The LoadTest
- Add Assertions to the LoadTest
1) Create a new LoadTest
- Right click on a TestCase in the Navigator and select New LoadTest
- A New LoadTest Dialog will open. In it, enter the name of your LoadTest and click OK.
The LoadTest will open. Done! It really is that simple in SoapUI. Let's run it.
2) Run The LoadTest
When a new LoadTest is created, it's preconfigured to run for 60 seconds (top right) with 5 threads using the Simple load strategy.
- Modify these values as desired (read more about SoapUI LoadTest Configuration).
- Run the test.
You will see the statistics table in the middle beginning collecting data and after 60 seconds should have a finished LoadTest. (read more about LoadTest Execution)
We have now succesfully run our first LoadTest, let's add an assertion to do Load Validations.
3) Add assertion to the LoadTest
- In the LoadTest editor, select the LoadTest Assertion tab at the bottom of the editor
- Click the Add Assertion button in the LoadTest Assertion menu bar to add an assertion.
- The Add Assertion dialog will now open, select Step Maximum. Select Maximum sets a Max Time in milliseconds that the responses are allowed to take, if the time exceeds what we've set, the test will fail. Click OK.
- The TestStep Max Assertion window will now open. As you can see we allow a max response of one second, 1000 milliseconds. Let's not modify anyting, Click Ok
- The Step Maximum assertion will now be successfully added.
Now run the test again. If the responces take too long, you should see the numbers in the err column add up quickly.
That concludes our Getting Started with LoadTests tutorial. To learn more about LoadTests in SoapUI, go to the User Guide.